.

.

Monday 14 October 2013

THE SAPPHIRES


The Sapphires were an instrumental/vocal group formed in Sydney in the late 50s. They released three singles on the HMV label. They also appeared on TV with Johnny O'Keefe televised at Festival Hall and Brian Henderson's Bandstand. Their best-known song ''Johnny Gunslinger'' was a hit in Sydney in 1961. It appeared on the 2UE Top 40 chart, the highest position being #10. This single was also released in NZ.

Members

Duke Finlay (vocals/guitar), Ned Hussney (vocals/banjo), Tony Garrick (vocals/guitar)




SINGLES
''High On A Mountain / Run, Come, See'' 1961 HMV
''Johnny Gunslinger (#26) / Oh, Oh, Rosie'' 1961 HMV
''Aberdeen (Abilene) / Cella Somba'' 1962 HMV





References

http://top100singles.blogspot.com.au/


10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm still here,playing n singing, age 83,fit enough.still love music. Living in tamworth nsw. Don't perform live any more, only 4 family n friends. Seeing this history here was a shock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I used to work with Duncan(Duke) @ Davoe's Enineering in Masot where he had that horrific accident on his arm in the 60's & also @ that Co was Col Laughnan of the Crescents then later The Delltones........ anyway I'm wondering what happened to him after his Safe manufacturing business? Oh by the way, I heard Slim Dusty's 'Road Train Blues' today & the verse's are a copy of Johnny Gunslinger & the Q. is who wrote it & when, interested to know. By the way they got me started on music & like you, still play!

      Delete
    2. Hi Tony & Carol Bruce and Marie here

      Delete
  2. The "wow" entry was from me tony garrick, original sapphire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you Tony. Any further info you would like to add please email me at kimchallands@hotmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm looking for "if you go, I'll never come back" song from the Sapphires. I found it once on youtube but lost now. I can't get out this song of my mind and need to hear it haha. Best australian band. Amazing Tony Garrick found this blog!

      Delete
    3. Is that the correct title? There is no recording I am aware of called ''if you go, I'll never come back'' by The Sapphires

      Delete
    4. Further reaserch revieled the song was called fast freight we sang on hendo's bandstand.

      Delete
  3. I sorta remember the song if you go,parts of it float in my ancient brain hd, I will try to re-acquire it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the song, "if you go", it's an old song relating to te depression in USA, and the Hobo's who travelled illegally on freight trains ìfound it on a recent release of "the best of bandstand "DVD, in jb music stand. Hope this helps you, good luck.

    ReplyDelete