.

.

Friday 19 February 2016

SURFSIDE 6


Cool surf punk/powerpop from this Sydney bunch who formed in the early 80s. Surfside Six released two singles on the Phantom label both produced by Radio Birdman's Chris Masuak. The A side of their second single. ''Can’t You See The Sign'' sounds like something that could have been done by Radio Birdman, the Visitors or the early Hitmen – an ominous and intense song. When they disbanded, keyboardist Toby Creswell became editor of Rolling Stone (Australia) and a founding editor of Juice.

Members

Jolyon Burnett (vocals) Greg Masuak (guitar) Geoff Datsun (guitar) Richard McGregor (guitar)
Cathy Courtenay (bass) Toby Cresswell (keyboards) John Hackett (drums)









3 comments:

  1. Gidday. Just a quick correction. I was the drummer in Surfside 6 and I am still very much alive! I am not the John (JJ) Hackett who you refer to in your post who I am sorry to hear passed away this year. John James (JJ) Hackett was a drummer in Mondo Rock and other bands but never played in Surfside 6. I understand it is confusing as we share the same name and were both drummers. I played in bands from 1977 including The Daggers, Surfside 6, Hoi Polloi and Sweet Nothings (with Melanie Oxley). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Fixed and I'm very glad you are still alive :)

      Delete
  2. How funny to stumble across this in my annoying process of getting a Wiki page with all the information necessary to make (someone else make) it happen and John, good to hear you ain't dead yet! Hope I get to see yah before that happens :-D

    ReplyDelete