.

.

Tuesday 9 August 2016

LESTER COOMBS


Lester Coombs was born in Emerald QLD and has been a country music singer for most of his life, releasing a number of albums in a career that has taken him all over the world. These days he lives in Rockhampton and still works as a singer and songwriter. When he was five years old, he decided to become an entertainer. He has been writing and singing and playing the guitar ever since! His first audience was in the Mangrove, a sinister place filled with "creepy crawlies" and, of course, the mythical hugadugs.

In the 70s he set off for the UK and toured throughout England playing alongside Tommy Steele, Lonnie Donnegan and Val Doonican. Back in Australia Coombs began working as a cabaret artiste, playing banjo, guitar and adding the skills of comedy and impressions learnt in England. In 1975 he had his first chart success with his single ''I'm Fine Thank You (When I Grow Too Old to Dream)'' which went Top 30. Lester played at the inaugural Sydney Festival in 1977. Coombs has also written nine musical comedies including Mangrove Madness; Under the Southern Cross, which ran for seven years in Sydney; and Opera on the Harbor.




SINGLES
''Stranger In My Place / Did You Give The World Some Love Today'' 1971 du Monde
''Yellilong (I Love You) / Loving You Is Sunshine'' 1972 Australian Country
''I'm Fine Thank You ('When I Grow Too Old To Dream') (#23) / What's Your Father Do?'' 1974 Australian Country
''Wolf Creek Pass (#50) / Costaphobia (The Fear Of Spending Money)'' 1975 Australian Country
''(Get In Behind) Fred Nerk / I'm My Own Grandpa'' 1975 Australian Country
''Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain / Old Poppa And Frankie'' 1976 Australian Country
''Why Do I Love You? / Harry And Me'' 1976 Australian Country
''Turn On The Sun / Let's Talk It Over'' 1976 Australian Country
''Why Don't You Like Me / Wildwood Flower'' 1979 KGC
''Please Remember Me / Somebody's Always Breaking My Heart'' 1980 Brook
''Older Women / Where Would I Be'' 1982 CBS
''Them / Gundagai Tango'' 1982 CBS

ALBUMS
'Country Singalong (Australian Country Vol 4)' 1973 Australian Country
'I'm Fine Thank You' 1975 Australian Country
'Tea Break With Harry And Me And The Girls' 1976 Australian Country
'More Country Singalong' 1976 Junction
'Lester Live' 1977
'Are You Ready For Country' 1978 KGC
'Mangrove Madness' 1993 Larrikin
'I'm Australian' CBS
Are You Ready The Best Of Lester V. Coombs' Brook




References

https://www.top100singles.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment