.

.

Thursday 12 September 2013

TOMMY LEONETTI


Tommy Leonetti was born Nicola Tomaso Lionetti in Bergen County, New Jersey in 1929. He was an American pop singer-songwriter and actor of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. He married the American actress Cindy Robbins and was stepfather to her daughter, Kimberly Beck. They moved to Sydney in the 1960s before moving back to the USA in the 70s. While in Australia, Leonetti hosted his own talk-show from 1968 to 1970 for ATN-7 and his most famous song was "My City of Sydney" (written by Leonetti & Robert Troup) and was used by TV channel ATN7 in Sydney for station identification. In 1968 he had a hit with "Let's Take A Walk" sung as a duet with his daughter Kim. In America he achieved greater success as a songwriter for movies and Broadway plays. Leonetti died in 1979 in Houston, Texas, of cancer, at the age of 50.




SINGLES
''Ring On A Ribbon / In My Life'' 1958 RCA
''On A Blanket On The Beach / I Am A Melody'' 1958 RCA
''I've Got Your Number / On The Other Side Of The Tracks'' 1963 RCA
''Soul Dance / Somebody Loves You'' 1963 RCA
''Don't Stand Up In A Canoe / Down By The Ocean'' 1964 RCA
''The Sweetheart Tree / I'm Taking You With Me'' 1966 RCA
''Let's Take A Walk'' [with daughter Kim] (#25) / All The Brave Young Faces Of The Night'' 1968 CBS
''Kum Ba Yah / Cheatin' On Me'' 1968 Festival
''My City Of Sydney / Till I See You Again'' 1969 Festival
''I Remember White Christmas (Christmas Time) / A Handful Of Happy New Years'' 1970 RCA
''Squeeze A Flower'' 1970 RCA
''When I Need You Most Of All / Miriam Come Home'' 1974 Epic

EPs
'Let's Take A Walk' 1969 CBS
'Tommy Leonetti Sings' 1970 MCA

ALBUMS
'Dream Street' 1958 RCA
'Nobody Else But Me!' 1964 RCA
'Trombones, Guitars And Me' 1966 RCA
'Today' 1970 RCA




References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Leonetti

http://top100singles.blogspot.com.au/


2 comments:

  1. I have an album of his on which he sings "Deep Purple," a standard, but which was never done better by anyone. I remember the Tommy Leonetti Show in the sixties - he was an excellent singer, showman and compere who reminded me of Bobby Rydell. I don't quite get the connection,but Garry McDonald says that he based the character of Norman Gunston on Tommy Leonetti - puzzling because Leonetti was not an awful, overblown celeb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I watched the Tommy Leonetti Show too. Tommy, as you say was a great singer and showman. He had that feelgood persona that rubbed off. Died too young

      Delete