.

.

Friday 21 February 2014

THE COURTMEN


Formed in Sydney in the early 60s The Courtmen were a five-piece band that played in front of 40,000 fans at the 2UW Spectacular in 1963 along with The Bee Gees, Col Joye, Judy Stone and Johnny Rebb. In March 1964 rock 'n' roll singer and recording star Warren Williams joined the band as lead vocalist. The Courtmen backed him on his song "It's Party Time / Great Balls Of Fire". Soon after Williams left the band to start a career as a cabaret singer. The band soldiered on and released two singles on the Leedon label: ''I've Got To Let You Go / Sticks And Stones'' in 1965 and ''Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart/Sea Cruise'' in 1966. Barry Shepherd has since died.

Members

Barry Shepherd (vocals, saxophone), Laurie Chatto (guitar), Ronnie Wilton (guitar), Con Serrafis (bass), Joe Skurnik (drums), Warren Williams (vocals), Vince Camelleri, Terry Coughlan, Claude Canero, Bill Younger, Peter Rowan




SINGLES
''I've Got To Let You Go / Sticks And Stones'' 1965 Leedon
''Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart / Sea Cruise'' 1966 Leedon






16 comments:

  1. I don’t know who these boys in the photograph are, but they aren’t the Courtmen as per the article. The information is correct but the photo isn’t. My brother was Barry Shepherd and is the one named.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the Courtmen that is my brother in law second on the right.

      Delete
  2. I can supply a photo of the Courtmen .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful. My email address is kimchallands@hotmail.com

      Delete
    2. Please do they played at Homebush town hall in the early 1960’s

      Delete
    3. Yes they did .

      Delete
  3. My Dad Con Serrafis. Second from right. I have this very poster. Parramatta sound lounge. Happy to send photo. However I have no idea how to work this site. Maybe I’ll figure it out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your dad was there in the photo. I’m Barry’s sister.

      Delete
  4. What happened to Peter Rowan he was in The Courtmen when they played at the Manly Soundlounge in th 60's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Petter passed away several years ago. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the typo. Peter.

      Delete
  5. Peter Rowan was Barry Shepherd’s wife’s brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "Courtmen" were formed in Ron Wiltons parents garage in Piggot St Dulwich Hill in April 1962, Original members were Con Serafis Vince Camelleri Ron Wilton Terry Coughlan Claude Canero Bill Younger.There first gig was at the "Penrith Railway Institute Hall" April 62.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m sorry about the misinformation. The first time I looked at this site it wasn’t this photo. Don’t know what went wrong? This photo is definitely them. I have a copy of it. My brother Barry Shepherd. Sadly he passed away several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad 😢 to hear of Barry’s passing, he often crossed my thoughts. I am Con Serrafis’s sister in law Diddy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diddy, thank you for your thoughts. I miss my big brother. He and Con bought that garage at Camperdown, which I’m sure you know.

    ReplyDelete