.

.

Monday 17 February 2014

DOUG OWEN


Doug Owen born in 1941 was a country folk/bush singer originally from Melbourne. Owen in his own words stated - In 1963, Graham Kennedy found me singing Australian folk music in a Hawthorn coffee lounge, and in a week or two, he featured me on his national television show, with regular spots from there on. Suddenly, I was a full-time professional entertainer, notching up more than one hundred television appearances all over Australia. I worked live in most of the best venues throughout this country, and recorded a few albums, mainly Australian material. In 1967, I was invited to head a government sponsored concert tour for the Australian and American armed forces in Vietnam with Patti Newton, Denise Drysdale and the Strangers, and then a second tour in 1970 with Pat Carroll and Lenore Somerset. In the early 70’s, I moved from Melbourne to Sydney – a brave move but not a wise one. Doug recorded on the W&G label in the 60s recording four singles an EP and three albums. Moving to Festival he recorded one single in 1971. He died in 2016 in Castlemaine Victoria.




SINGLES
''Pay Me My Money Down / Kisses Sweeter Than Wine'' 1963 W&G
''Rambling Boy / What'cha Gonna Do'' [with The Hayes Bros] 1965 W&G
''I Love A Sunburnt Football / I've Gotta See A Man About A Dog'' 1967 W&G
''The Anti-Football Blues / The Golden Sound Of Silence'' 1967 W&G
''Native Companion / Way Back'' 1971 Festival

EPs
'It Ain't Necessarily Folk' 1966 W&G

ALBUMS
'The Folksong World of Doug Owen' 1963 W&G
'At The Copper Inne' [with The Hayes Bros] 1964 W&G
'A Toast To Gundagai' 1967 W&G
'Doug Owen Sings Contemporary Australian Songs By Bryan Kryger Conway' 1971 The Australian





No comments:

Post a Comment